The Benefits of Paint Protection for Your Car
Your car is important to you on so many levels. It’s more than just a ride or a way of getting around. It’s one of the biggest investments you’ll make with your hard-earned money. You want it to last and retain value, so it deserves the extra security of new car paint protection. Let’s face it: The car is also a big part of your self-image, whether that image is of a soccer mom ferrying loads of kids to games in a mini-van, or a super sporty man-on-the-town in a shiny new muscle car. Keeping a glossy shine on the new paint job goes a long way toward preserving your image and the good feeling of driving a car you’re proud of.
Benefits of Automotive Paint Protection
Maybe you’ve never considered the many benefits of car paint protection film. Learn more about this practical addition to your car care, and discover the ways it can save you money and extend the life and value of your car.
- The environment is out to get your paint job.
Your car’s paint job does more than keep it looking new and shiny. It also serves as a skin that protects the metal and other surfaces from destructive wear and tear. Without the added layer of top quality new car paint protection, the paint is exposed to possible damage from:
- √ Bird droppings, full of acid that will burn through the paint.
- √ Tree sap, especially difficult to remove, and full of acid.
- √ Tree fruits, like cherries, that will burn through and permanently damage paint.
- √ Road salt, which causes serious corrosion to paint and metals—a big factor wherever the winter climate brings snows.
- √ Road oil and tar, likely to splash up during warm months when roads are being repaved and the heat loosens materials that stick to paint.
- √ UV rays from the sun that burn through paint.1
- Repel environmental damage with automotive paint protection.
- √ Seals the paint to keep scratches or bubbles from allowing moisture in, which leads to spread of corrosion and, eventually, rust.
- √ Reflects back light and UV rays to reduce sun damage.
- √ Reduces exposure to all the elements, and the nicks, scratches, burns, and corrosion they can inflict.
- Make car care easier with protective films for cars.
- √ Car paint protection film repels dust build-up, so windy days and the neighbor’s leaf-blower can’t cause unsightly build-up. Then, when it’s time to wash your car, it’s a much faster job.
- √ In between washes, just run a soft dust cloth over the surface for a really clean car without the need for elbow grease. You’ll feel good about conserving that extra water, especially in regions suffering from drought.
- Retain your car’s value longer with car scratch protection film.
- √ Maintaining that new-car gleam is difficult after years of use, even with regular washing and waxing. Applying paint protection film for cars when the vehicle—and the paint job—are new and shiny keeps it looking like new when the time comes to sell or trade it in. You’ll appreciate the higher dollar value on your car with a like-new exterior.
How to Choose the Right Car Protection Film
Ask your dealer about options for adding vehicle paint protection film when you purchase a new car. If you already own a car and are looking to add protection, your car dealer should be able to handle a professional installation. If not, look for an authorized local supplier/dealer of a good quality product like Scorpion, that offers installation by well-trained technicians, with all the product guarantees.
Spray-on vs. film—what’s best?
When trying to make this decision, choose a car paint shield product that will not yellow over time, and which is warrantied to last 7 years, like Scorpion Window Film’s Paint Protection Kits. They are pre-cut to fit different sections of your car—for example, the A Pillar kits, for covering the front pillars—or HFM kits, for hood, fender, and mirror. Professional installers may use various kits, or they may prefer the rolls, available in multiple widths.
Once installed, the PP6 film, at 6 micrometers thick, is virtually invisible, thanks to its high-gloss, ultra-clear properties. If you want an even brighter shine, you can still polish or wax over the protective film. This paint protection for cars is designed for easy installation and won’t scratch paint surface in the process (because that would defeat the purpose). It can be removed if you choose, and it comes with a 7-year warranty.
If you are considering using a spray-on film protector, be aware that there are significant differences between this method and the film method. The drawbacks to spray-on include:
- Application is more difficult to control, which can lead to overspraying, with patches of too much product.
- Excess spray and uneven areas can attract more dirt, grime, and tar, which makes cleaning a bigger challenge.
- If enough product is not applied in spots, there is an uneven appearance, and its protective quality may be reduced.
Professional Paint Protection Installers
If you are looking to add paint protection installation to your lineup of professional services, or to start a new business, review these pointers for getting off to a good start with products that will help you retain a happy customer base.
- Pre-cut or custom?
Ordering pre-cut kits, like those offered by Scorpion Window Film, will save you the time and expense of trying to custom cut every order, with the potential for errors and wasted product. An extensive selection of over 25,000 kits means there is a combination of pre-cut forms for any vehicle. Plus, this paint protection film is highly conformable, meaning it is easily molded for a perfect fit every time, and it requires very few relief cuts.
- PP6 or PP8?
Installers working in especially challenging environments, with heavy winter snows and extremes of cold or heat, will be interested in the PP8 film, an alternative to PP6, offering 8 mils of thickness. The thicker film provides even more protection in rough weather. Both options are ideal for protecting more than the basic paint job on trucks, cars, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, ATVs, and others. Apply film to preserve decorative graphics, fleet marking, automotive wraps, or any automotive graphics.